And then I discovered The Park Bench, who does exactly what I wanted to do and does it perfectly.
Well, there goes that idea, thought I. I still wanted to write a blog to keep my writing skills sharp for the day when Steven Moffat makes the misguided decision to take a chance on an unknown or it's discovered by the faculty that I'm merely pretending to be interested in a career in higher education and I'm swiftly booted out of here. (Whichever comes first, really.) But what to do? Sadly, I was left with no choice other than to be myself. (Hey! Come back here! I'll give you cookies!)
So expect lots of squeeing on the following topics: Harry Potter; Doctor Who (this is my latest find so expect a lot on it); Buffy; The X-Files; Star Wars; Lord of the Rings; Thursday Next; House; 30 Rock; The Office; Monty Python; Blackadder; British TV; British comedy; British actors; British, well... anything; the BBC; PBS; reality shows involving food; reality shows involving the paranormal; English literature (esp. 19th Century); Jane Austen; Oscar Wilde; the Jeeves stories; Beat poetry; Anne Rice; Raymond Chandler; Kafka; European cinema (the more pretentious, the better); graphic novels; action figures; doll houses and miniatures; vampires, werewolves, and zombies; classic rock; folk music; la France; history; politics; travel; trivia; existentialism; feminism; Marxism; writing; academics; Macs; cats; shoes; and irony. I know I've left something out here....
And I'm sure the whining about my life will be unavoidable. But hopefully the whining and the squeeing will be more well thought out, insightful, entertaining, literate, and, um, proofread than what I've done in the past has been. And here's to avoiding memes!
I really plan to explain all the links and stuff on the side. So, to get started:
- Great Expectations belongs to one of my dearest friends. She writes very wittily about her relationship with God. And, uh, Star Trek.
- The Park Bench, as I mentioned before, is a blog for and about nerd girls.
- Paul Cornell's House of Awkwardness is a blog by one of my favorite Doctor Who writers who also happens to have created Bernice Summerfield, whom you will soon learn I think is the ultimate in cool.
- My Library Thing Catalog is where you can view a small slice of what is on my bookshelf.
- The University of Iowa is my current alma mater.
- Boston University is my former alma mater.
- Susquehanna University is my original alma mater. I have lots of alma maters.
I am a shameless reposter. So if you're friends with me from other social networking sites, you may recognize a few things. At least until I run out of unoriginal things to say.